Over the years there is one aspect of organisations that I have come to view as having the greatest positive or negative impact on company performance – executive team alignment. A little while ago, someone I was talking with described their organisation as like a big family. Not as in one big happy family; the implication was that people behave in some of the worst ways that sometimes only families do. The workplace was neither productive nor a pleasant place to be.
So to continue with the analogy, there are some basic elements which most well-functioning families* seem to have in common:
- A sense of purpose and priorities;
- A clear and shared set of values;
- Good will towards each other;
- Clear and direct communication; and
- A good mix of focus on the present and the future.